Tips to help you stay Safe when Online Dating
eMatch welcomes hundreds of members on a daily basis. Most people are genuinely looking for the love or their lives, however there is also a small group of people that tries to abuse the platform. These scammers are mainly from abroad and usually send poorly written messages. The safety team of eMatch will do anything to keep them out, but there are also a few steps you can take to stay safe when online dating. Here are our top tips for avoiding scammers.
Tips for staying safe online
- Never send money to someone you met online. There is no reason for anyone to ask you for money, whatever sad story they give. If someone requests you to transfer money we advise you to stop all contact immediately and report it to eMatch.
- Scammers will ask you to communicate outside the dating site. Frauds will do anything to avoid operating in a supervised surrounding. They will try to convince you to contact them on Skype or a personal email address. So beware if your match asks you to continue your contact in another surrounding.
- Be cautious and do not share too much personal information. It is best to keep personal data such as your home address or phone number private. Remember you cannot take this information back. Keep it to yourself until you have actually met the person and you feel it is safe to share it.
- Use your common sense. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Do you have any doubts about your match? Verify his or her story. Nowadays you can Google pretty much everyone. Most people have a Facebook or a LinkedIn account. You can also search by image at https://www.tineye.com/
- Does your contact want to know everything about you, but hardly shares any information about him- or herself? Be careful. You might be dealing with a scammer.
- Trust your gut feeling. If you feel someone isn't being sincere and is abusing the platform, please contact us instantly.
How to recognise a scammer?
- Most scammers have a Basic Membership. They usually don't have a profile photo.
- A scammer will try to convince you to use another platform outside of eMatch.
- Scammers are quick to declare their love. Within a few weeks they will call you the love of their lives.
- Some scammers will send you gifts (e.g. a mobile phone) and then ask you to send it back.
- They will tell you a sad story and ask you in a persistent way for money.
- The messages they send are poorly written.
- There is always a reason why you can't meet (illness, work, etc).
- Female scammers usually have a professional and sexy profile photo.
- Male scammers usually present themselves as highly educated men in their fifties.
eMatch does everything to make sure you can date in a safe online environment
- eMatch checks and verifies every profile created on our site.
- We use SSL Encryption. This special technology keeps your data anonimous and safe.
- You can anonimously report any type of abuse at eMatch by accessing our Report Abuse button. You can also contact our helpdesk.
- Shady profiles are removed instantly.
- eMatch only uses well-known and trustworthy payment methods.